Featured Event: Summer Leadership Camp 2016
The fourth annual Steve’s Club Summer Leadership Camp was held July 31 - August 5 at Fort Indiantown Gap, a National Guard training base, in Pennsylvania.
Leadership Camp is Steve’s Club National Program’s (SCNP) largest initiative of the year, and brings together teens from our Steve’s Club chapters nation-wide and amazing guest coaches from the CrossFit community.
The week-long sleep away Camp is an opportunity for Steve’s Club athletes to learn about leadership, teamwork, mental toughness, grit, perseverance, self-talk, etc. Campers are challenged physically and mentally throughout the week - they are required to step out of their comfort zone and into leadership roles. Through workouts, workshops, journaling, and group discussions, they're given the chance to reflect on and absorb these experiences on many levels.
Campers are chosen based on an application process that includes a coach recommendation and short answer questions about leadership. This year, 22 Steve’s Club athletes from across the country were selected to attend.
“We received applications from more of our Local Steve’s Clubs this year than ever before,” said Leora Hafri, Program Director of SCNP. “We had athletes from six states including Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey, and 10 different Steve’s Club chapters were represented. About 40% of the Campers this year were female which is almost double the percentage from last year’s Camp!”
SCNP was honored to be joined by an amazing group of 20 coaches and volunteers. “Camp wouldn’t be possible without the help of guest coaches,” said Lee Knight, Executive Director of SCNP. “They bring a variety of different skill sets and knowledge to the workshops and workouts they lead, and truly make Camp what it is.”
Our Camp guest coach and volunteer roster included:
• Christy Adkins, 7-time CrossFit Games individual athlete, led a workshop about mobility and self-Care, and a WOD + lesson about mental toughness and perseverance.
• Chad Vaughn, 2-time Olympian and national record holder in Olympic Weightlifting, led a weightlifting workshop and discussions about overcoming obstacles.
• Cherie Chan, CrossFit HQ and Seminar staff member and past CrossFit Games athlete, led a hike + WOD and lesson on leadership.
• Representatives from the Travis Manion Foundation, an organization dedicated to empowering veterans and the families of fallen heroes to develop character in future generations, ran the Obstacle Course and Leadership Reaction Course.
• Representatives from Snap Kitchen, a national healthy meal shop, led a workshop about nutrition.
• Chef Elise from Fueled by Elise, a meal prep and catering company, led a hands-on cooking demonstration.
• SCNP Board Members/Officers led a few workshops: Duncan led sessions about self-talk and gratitude, Roger led a session about finding comfort in discomfort, and Steve led a workshop about public speaking and a WOD + lesson on positive community.
• Other workshops and workouts by volunteers and Local Club leaders: gymnastics led by Coach Stephanie, first-aid led by Coach Sarah, yoga and goal setting led by Coach Carla, a group workout led Coaches Roger, Matt & Dom, and a team WOD created by the leaders from Denver, Team Fearless (in TX), Nashville, and Camden.
“There’s a very full schedule of activities planned for the kids at Camp,” said Steve Liberati, co-founder of SCNP. “This year’s Camp was the best we’ve had yet, which is due in large part to our dedicated staff and coaches, and the support we received from our generous sponsors.”
Thank you to all of our Camp sponsors!
More posts about Camp to follow!